New Blog

Continue the adventure at:
caldreamsquirrel.blogspot.com

21 July 2010

We Got Your Back--board

There's two ways to come into the E.D. at the County:  one is passing by the waiting room, and the other is coming up the back stairs and passing the hallway where the backboards are stacked.  Either way, I can get an idea of what's waiting for me inside the E.D.

Most of the time when we take someone off the backboard, they've been placed on it as a precaution following a fall or a traffic collision.  Sometimes there's blood on the boards.  Sometimes worse.

They all get brought here... to the back hallway.  Here they wait for Environmental Services to give them a good wipe down.  There's actually a separate stack for clean versus dirty.  The clean ones get picked up eventually by their respective EMS agencies so there is a constant ebb and flow to the stack.

Still, in general, it's a good indicator of how a day is going, or how the day has been.  Lots of boards means lots of traumas, and they slow the whole E.D. down, hold up resources, overwhelm the staff.

I make a conscious decision on most days - front entry and pass the waiting room to see what's coming;  back hallway and backboards to see what's been... it helps to prepare me for the shift ahead.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I always can tell what my night will be like by the cars parked where ever they stopped in the ER garage. If it is cars parked randomly all over I know my night is going to be busy,

Arash Safaie said...

Nice idea for shift evaluation
I must use it

Negar Mafi said...

Well since my shifts are almost always busy -as they have always been so, since the time I started taking shifts as a med student!-, I don't bother my self evaluating the condition, I just presume lots of patients and start the work; whenever I can take a sit for a minute, that means the rush is over! :P